Season: Open May 15 to Nov 15 by appointment only (607-267-9445 or 607-287-7011) and July - August: Open every Sunday from 1pm-3pm
This 1807 German Palatine Vernacular house museum is Oneonta's oldest remaining structure. It was built by Lawrence Swart, a Revolutionary War Veteran from Schoharie County who purchased 3 sections of the Wallace Patent after the war. Renovated to the 1870-1900 Victorian era, the house reflects life in Oneonta when Henry & Phoebe Wilcox lived here with their family. This was a time of great change and growth as after the railroad and the college came, the village of Oneonta grew from a village into a city. The house is on the Historic Register and was awarded a historic preservation award by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.
Created as the focal point of the 4th-grade local history curriculum, it has become a community resource for those interested in the local area and its history. The annual Summer Sunday Series of programs highlights a variety of topics, this year including:
- July 8 Open House - Local Antique Tractors - Music - House Tours
- July 15 Domestic Chores - Loraine Tyler
- July 22 Oneontas Restaurants: Memories of Former Favorites - Big Chuck & Leslie Ann
- July 29 Local Archeology: Historic or Prehistoric? - Buzz Hesse
- August 5 Textiles: Early fabrics of the 1800s - Rabbit Goody
- August 12 Broomcraft: Brooms Swept Out of the Historical Past - Jim Whitaker
- August 19 Fly Fishing - Jim Lennox & Roy Bartoo
- August 26 Antique Appraisal Clinic - with Tim Northup, Al Bullard, Kevin Herrick, & MaryAnn Flewelling
The Summer Sunday Series occurs every Sunday from 1 to 3pm and provides a program as well as house tours and light refreshments.
The SW House Museum is handicapped accessible, and these programs are free and open to the public.
Be sure to check the Calendar of Events for YOUR travel dates!